Thursday 23 July 2015

Matcha, Strawberries & Cream Swiss Roll

Matcha, Strawberries & Cream Swiss Roll 




So one of my lovely friends gave me an unopened jar of matcha powder, so I promised to bake something delicious in return for him and his gf in thanks. This is the result!


Now onto the recipe!



Once I was handed over the powder my mind was abuzz with what I should create with it. And while waiting for some reports to load at work I started researching. 
Something I've never tried before was making a Swiss roll, and there were many beautiful ones out there with patterns baked into the batter. But I wanted to keep it simple for my first attempt. I did though also want it to be more exciting than just a matcha roll, then it came to me. Strawberries. I should combine the sweetness of strawberries and cream with the bitter matcha sponge.
So this is my attempt at melding English Strawberries with Japanese Matcha!

Prep Time: 15 mins for cake, 20 mins for cream, strawberries, & decorating.
Cook Time: 10 mins
Cooling Time: 20 mins
Tools:
Baking Tray 14" x 10" (35cm x 25cm)
Beaters
Spoons
Palette Knife (or any other knife)
4 Bowls
Sieve
Sharp Knife
Ingredients:
Cake Batter
3 Egg Yolks
3 Egg Whites
80g Caster Sugar
75g Self Raising Flour
2 tsp Matcha Green Tea Powder

1 pinch of Salt

Filling
500ml Double Cream
400g StrawberriesMethod
1. Preheat your fan oven to 200C (220-230C for non-fan oven). Grease and line your rectangle baking tray with baking paper.
2.Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites and put 40g of sugar in each bowl.


3. Beat the egg yolk sugar mix until pale and fluffy (approx. 2 mins on high setting).
4. Beat the egg white sugar mix until soft peaks form (approx 5 mins on high setting).
5. Gently fold the egg yolk sugar mix into the egg white sugar mix.
6. Sieve the flour and matcha powder into a separate bowl, add a pinch of salt. Then fold this gently into the egg mix. Its important to do this gently to keep the aeration of the mix.

Taking this pic wasn't easy, one of the times I wish I had 2 pairs of arms!
7. Pour into the baking tray and smooth out. Leave to stand for a couple of minutes so that it can even out. And put into the preheated oven.

8. Wait 11 minutes for the oven to do its thing. While waiting layout a sheet of baking paper.

Woo Cake!
7. Once out of the oven flip out and onto the prepared baking paper. Then carefully roll. (I watched this BBC clip for guidance before: Clip)


Rolled up

8. Wait 20 mins for it to cool.
Filling
1. Beat the double cream for approx 4 mins until stiff.
Like this


2. Rough cut the strawberries into tiny pieces about 5-10p in size.
3. Stir the strawberries into the whipped cream.

Putting Everything Together
1. Unroll your cake.
2. Spread strawberries and cream mix evenly, leaving a 5 cm gap on either short end.

3. Re-roll your cake gently.
4. Decorate as you wish! I made a simple pink flower blossom cream outer-layer, or you can leave it as it is. Another option is to save some strawberries and decorate the outer-layer with these at the end.




Front view
Angled view






And finally eat! (or give to your friend who it was actually for...)

Sophie xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment